How to change the default search engine in Firefox
You can easily change the default search engine and to more to protect your privacy in Firefox by installing an extension.
The official Findx add-on for Firefox both protects your privacy and prevents tracking when you are searching online by setting Findx to be your default search engine, homepage and tab page.
Installing the Findx for Firexfox add-on
- Go to the Findx for Firefox add-on page:
- Click Add to Firefox, then click Install.
Removing the Findx Firefox add-on
If you no longer want to use Findx for Firefox, you can easily remove it.
- Click the menu button (☰) to the right of the toolbar, then click Add-ons.
- Click the Remove button to the right of the Findx add-on.
This removes Findx completely from the list of available search engines, and resets your default search engine.
Changing your default search engine
If you no longer want to use Findx as your default search engine, but still want to include it in the list of search engines, that’s easy.
- Click the menu button (☰), click on Preferences, then select Search.
- Choose your new default search engine from the drop-down list.
Changing your homepage
If you want to use another page as your homepage, and not Findx, you can easily change it.
- Open the page you want to use as the homepage.
- Click the menu button (☰),then click on
- Click on Use Current Page.
Alternatively, you can drag the URL of the page you want to use onto the Home icon in the toolbar.
If you want to use a private search engine, one of the question that often is askes is “How do they make money?”. There various ways a search engine can keep you privacy and make money. See the comparison chart and learn more about private search engines.
You might think you’ll lose some features when you start using a private search engine, but there are actually a number of search engines with many great features that let you search in private. See the comparison chart and learn more about private search engines.