How to change the default search engine in Brave
You can easily change the default search engine in Brave by changing your preferences.
Using Brave together with a more private search engine than Google protects your privacy better.
- When you search with Duckduckgo, Qwant or Givero your privacy is protected because your search history isn’t saved.
- When you browse using the Brave browser, including when you click on a search result, the pages you visit cannot track you – your browsing stays private.
Setting Givero to be the default search engine in Brave
Use DuckDuckgo as the default search engine in private browsing Brave
- In Brave, go to the menubar “File – > New Incognito Window”
- Select Brave as the preferred Search Engine in Incognito browsing.
Setting Qwant to be the default search engine in Brave
- In Brave, go to www.qwant.com
- Click on Install Qwant
Changing your default search engine
If you want to change the search engine later, you can easily switch between the available search engines.
- Click on Brave -> Preferences.
- or write brave://settings/searchEngines in the address bar
- Then click on the new default search engine you want to use.
Changing your home page in Brave
Your home page is automatically opened when you start the Brave browser. You can set your home page automatically go to the Givero search engine so you can search quickly and easily.
- Click Brave -> Preferences.
- Or write brave://settings/ in the address bar
- Enter the URL you want as your homepage in brave eg. https://www.givero.com or https://www.qwant.com in the My home page is field.
Tip: If you want to easily return to your home page when you are browsing the web, enable the toggle to Show home button on the URL bar.
If you want to use a private search engine, one of the question that often is askes is “How do they make money?”. There various ways a search engine can keep you privacy and make money. See the comparison chart and learn more about private search engines.