Comparison of private search engines
Everyone needs to search for information using a search engine. And with many of the more popular search engines working closely with advertisers to perfectly target you with advertising, it seems to be getting harder to protect your privacy.
But there are easy ways to protect yourself against being tracked when you search on the web and browse results – you can use a private metasearch or search engine.
Some of the features you should look for are:
- No behavioural tracking or history – No identifiers used to keep track of your searches and behaviour across the web.
- Independent index – Full control over the search algorithm and a guarantee to avoid searching in a filter bubble!
- Open source – the community can participate and check the code to ensure the index is created fairly and the algorithms that serves you the results are not biased.
- Based in the EU – Worth noting because the EU has strong privacy laws, and according to privacytools.io, US based services provide data to US surveillance programs.
- Primary source for information – For metasearch engines like Startpage, you should be aware of what partnerships they have and where they receive their results from.
Comparison of private search engines and metasearch engines
|No behavioural tracking or search history||+||+||+||+||+|
|Independent index (not metasearch)||+||-||-||- / (+ In France)||-|
|Open source||+||- / Partially||+||-||-|
|Based in EU||+||-||Decentralized||+||+|
|Primary source for search results||Own index||Bing||User choice||Bing (Own in France)|
About alternative search engines with privacy
Private search engines and solutions protecting people’s online privacy will continue to grow as the concerns for digital privacy increase. People are already asking for alternative data-ethical solutions where personal information is protected and control is in the hands of people.
How search engines make money?
By searching in private you aren’t hiding in your own filter bubble, your search history isn’t collected and you are not haunted by advertisements all over the internet based on your online behaviour. You might then ask yourself the question; How does a private search engine make money?
What are the features of a private search engine?
March 9, 2018
You might think you’ll lose some features when you start using a private search engine, but there are actually a number of search engines with many great features that let you search in private. See the comparison chart and learn more about private search engines.
If you want to use a private search engine, one of the question that often is askes is “How do they make money?”. There various ways a search engine can keep you privacy and make money. See the comparison chart and learn more about private search engines.